Thursday, December 31, 2015

Precious Penny

Well, our neighborhood decided to do luminaries for the second year in a row…all down our street…a mile long.

We planned, and put sand in white paper bags, we punched some of the bags with stars and snowflakes and the numbers "2016". We lighted tea lights up and down the street and afterwards, everyone gathered in my garage for cocoa and chips and biscotti.

What I will remember is Penny, a little 5 year old asking me for more cocoa and whether or not she could come in while I made it.  She set up a stool outside the garage door and said, "I'll sit right here while you make it." I said, "are you comfortable there or would you like to come in?" "I'll ask my dad". He said it's fine!. So in she came.

"Where is your Christmas Tree?"
"It's around the corner, go look for it."
"Ok…. Oh, it is very tiny. Tiny."
"Yes, I know it's tiny but I have a lot of them. Can you find how many I have? Go look." So she scampers away to look and starts counting.
"18. I think you have 18. "
"Well, I think you counted some twice don't you?" She's smiles. She's five. She's Penny. She's absolutely adorable. With a brother on the way. And two in the boot. Wow. What a family.



No comments:

Post a Comment